The candidate of the All Progressives Congress, (APC) in the Ekiti governorship election, Dr Kayode Fayemi, has been declared the winner by the Independent National Electoral Commission. The Vice-Chancellor of the University of Ibadan and Returning Officer for the election, Prof. Idowu Olayinka, said he had satisfied the requirement of the law by polling the highest lawful votes in the election.
According to the results declared by the Independent National Electoral Commission, Fayemi won in majority of the 16 local councils in the state. The INEC results showed that Fayemi polled 197,459 votes. His PDP rival Professor Olusola Eleka got 178,121 votes.
Eleka won in his local council of Ikere-Ekiti, Emure, Efon and Ado-Ekiti. Fayemi won in Ilejemeje, Irepodun/Ifelodun, which is the local council of the incumbent, Ayodele Fayose, Ido-Osi, Fayemi’s own local council. The APC candidate also won in Oye, Moba, Ijero, Gboyin, Ekiti West, Ikole, Ise Orun, Ekiti East and Ekiti South West.
Results of Ekiti governorship election as declared by INEC
- Ilejemeje LG APC-4,156 PDP-3,937
- Irepodun/Ifelodun LG APC-13,869 PDP-11,456
- Ido OSI LG APC-12,342 PDP-11,145
- Oye LG APC-14,995 PDP-11,071
- Efon Alaye LG APC-5,028 PDP-5,192
- Moba LG APC- 11,837 PDP- 8,520
- Ijero LG APC-14,192 PDP-11,077
- Gboyin APC – 11,498 PDP- 8,027
- Emure LG APC – 7,048 PDP- 7,121
- Ikere LG APC- 11,515 PDP- 17,183
- Ekiti West LG APC- 12,648 PDP- 10,137
- Ikole LG APC- 14,522 PDP- 13,961
- Ise/Orun LG APC- 11,908 PDP- 6,297
- Ekiti East APC- 12,778 PDP- 11,564
- Ekiti Southwest LG APC- 11,015 PDP- 8,423
- Ado LG APC- 28,111 PDP- 32,810 Total votes APC- 197,462 winner PDP- 177,927
The Ekiti governorship election has become a sad commentary for the PDP led Coalition of United Political Parties which was recently formed to oust the President Mohammadu Buhari and the APC from the seat of power in 2019.